Thursday, September 04, 2008

I posted this on Fark at 9:40pm, and I figured to keep this preserved for posterity.

I'll survive if McCain gets elected. In fact, I'll even stay in America.

I agree with McCain more than Obama on some issues.

I'm pro-life (see: Seamless Garment and Consistent Life Ethic) but I'm willing to see a pro-choice politician oversee a reduction in abortions. The rate of abortions decreased under Clinton and it increased under Bush. I'd hold it doubly against a pro-choice politician if he/she oversaw an increase in the number of abortions.

I don't think coddling Russia does any good, and I am pissed that the US frittered away international goodwill and our ability to react militarily in Iraq. It annoys me when I hear people talk of Russia's right to have a near abroad -- it's as if the opinions of people in the Baltics, Ukraine, Georgia, etc., don't matter.

I won't lie, who wouldn't mind seeing more money in their wallet? But if paying more in taxes will help this country prepare for a time when we need to run deficits, then so be it. I don't mind. I've even contributed money to help pay down the public debt (you can deduct it the same as charitable contributions, too.)

I agree with Obama more on environmental issues, trade issues, capital punishment, and Iraq/jihad against Islamic radicalism issues.

But I just can't convince myself that the past eight years have been a success.

While I've done well, it seems many Americans have not.

I want to see a macro-environment where lots of people can succeed. In the late 1990s, even the 20th and 30th percentile of people in terms of ambition and drive were doing well. Today, that bar has gone up to the 40th or 45th percentile. Many Republicans don't seem to care, choosing to blame the victim instead of asking, how can we create a country where there is more opportunity for all.

Reagan gets mocked here a lot -- but it's not as if Carter was tearing up the charts with American success at home and abroad. Instead, Carter blamed the American people. Then Reagan asked, 'Are you better off than you were eight years ago?' and people answered that question at the ballot box.

It was time for the Democrats in 1932.
It was time for the Republicans in 1980.
It is time, I believe, for the Democrats in 2008.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Strictly speaking, the rate of abortions didn't go up under Bush, it just didn't decrease as quickly as it had been decreasing under Clinton. Also, I'm not sure what you're saying about Obama and the death penalty -- he's for it, in some cases. Probably fewer than McCain, but I don't know.

Nitpicking aside, I agree with almost everything you've said here. I hope it is time for the Democrats in 2008. They're not my ideal party by any stretch of the imagination, but we need to step back from the edge of the cliff.