Friday, January 19, 2007

Well, working from home today. We had a doctor's appointment which determined that everything was on track. We also added a few items to our baby registry. I'll probably go over and add some more stuff to the registry in the next week or so. As of right now we will be working right up until the 9th of February -- Rebecca's due date is the 12th

Going home yesterday was interesting. I found what I at first thought was a stray bit of a coat on the Metro, but then when I sat on a seat that became available, found that there was a whole mess of these things.

My first thought, said out loud, was that someone's coat was hurting, but then I realized I was wrong (with the help of the girls doing GRE prep across from me.) It was hair extensions. There were about 50 or 60 hair extensions sitting on the floor of that Metro car.

Then at the Court House station, I saw a security guard come on and talk to someone else. Turns out there was some sort of medical emergency on the other car and in about five minutes we were on our way.

Scheduled estimates for the two bathrooms pretty much all next week, every morning. I talked with Rebecca some about the need for this work, and hopefully the other estimates will come in lower than Case's estimate. She was really put off -- they played the "ohnomoldwillkillyourbaby" card and then when we asked about the schedule were like, "Oh, if one phase is done on Wednesday we'll just wait until Monday to finish the next phase." I think the mold is real -- I didn't even mention the pregnancy until the guy was saying it'd take three weeks to refinish the bathroom, during which the bathroom would of course be unusable.

Putting in a birdsnest or some sort of temporary bathtub probably wouldn't help much -- we'd still have to hook up the plumbing to the temporary bathtub, ventilation would still be nonexistent, and the thought of taking a bath in a giant tub like the pioneers is still offputting, especially when we can afford to put in a second bathroom -- and the house will need one if we ever sell it to anyone other than some mega-developer that will erect a 12-story condo in our neighborhood. Seriously, we are two traffic lights from I-395. The neighborhood is surprisingly quiet from I-395 and we have a gas station blocking us from the traffic of Glebe Road.

Then at some random point in the next year, I get to have the floors replaced with some sort of hardword imitation made from metal or ceramic or something. At least in the dining room -- I don't relish (heh) the thought of cleaning up Melanie's food if she goes through phases where she accidentally or deliberately makes a big mess.

I suppose I should be working on the VHSL questions about now. Tomorrow I am going over to Edison to see the Northern Region's Scholastic Bowl tournament (and in the morning the District "regular seasons.")

No comments: